Things are going GREAT for our Dragon Hillclimb June 23-24 in Robbinsville, NC!
1. Entries are still coming from drivers and classes are filling up. We have 7 drivers competing in C Street Prepared class and 5 in Street Unlimited! We can still use a few more safety workers so if you are interested, please sign up as soon as possible. Workers receive a shirt, accommodations, breakfast and lunch both days and dinner Saturday night and will draw for prizes as well.
2. Lodging – if you are looking for a place to stay, there are still openings at :
Smoky Mountain Mansion Call Beverly at 866-862-4220
Mountain Manor Call Brenda at 828 479-4555
3. Spectator area #2 will be open for the June event. This is halfway up the hill and will provide a good view of cars coming and going! Safety barricades will be in place and workers will be there to insure safety of spectators. The Spectator are # 3 at top of the hill will also be open. You can see cars finish there and drivers will come over to talk with spectators. It’s a great chance to talk, ask questions and get autographs. Each youth that gets 15 autographs gets a free inflatable dragon (see Information Desk at event for details!) Be sure and see the view at the overlook at Spectator Area #3… beautiful view of some Carolina Mountains. BRING YOUR CAMERA!
4. Parking – The Law Enforcement side of Forest Services reminded us again in our last meeting, ALL entrants and spectators MUST park outside of the white stripes. It is vitally important to keep the lanes free for all traffic.
5. The road work is finished and the course is significantly smoother! We appreciate the money spent by North Carolina Department of Transportation to improve this road. They focused mainly on turns and dips to help cars keep better asphalt adhesion and less bottoming out of springs. The course does have mixed surfaces but is a better course than last year. Remember, each hillclimb course has it’s own unique challenges and it has never meant smooth perfect asphalt to the top!
6. Local businesses in Robbinsville and Graham County have stepped up to sponsor cars and help our event! We appreciate their interest and support! The Chamber of Commerce has worked with local businessmen to cover worker meals and help make this event possible. One local auto shop has offered to help any driver that needs welding or major repairs during the weekend. This kind of teamwork is greatly appreciated and makes these events such a pleasure to share.
7. Media Passes – If you are working in media field, we will have media passes that will allow access to more of the course. You will need to sign a waiver, stay outside of armco barriers and stay in sight of a safety worker at all times.